Monday, July 5, 2010

Proper Soul, Day 4

Rested around Roger's Rocky Top Retreat all morning waiting for cooler temps. Finally made it to Cirque around 5pm. Warmed up on the first couple of bolts of proper soul. It was my sixth day on and temps were still in the mid 80's with about 50-60 percent humidity.

After warming up and watching a couple of locals give it some burns i was ready. Temps hadn't really cooled off much. However, three other people were in line and it was my turn. The climb felt a lot harder than it felt on previous burns. Non the less, i was still able to make it to my previous high point. I sorta freaked out a little and messed up my beta quite a bit. After the fall, i got back on and tried to take it to the top. I made it to the top in two hangs falling again in the hard traverse section above the dihedral crux.

My second burn was around 8pm. The sun had left the gorge and temps had dropped a little. I felt quite tired pulling into the dihedral and took a nasty fall leaving the dihedral. My leg slipped off and went directly behind the rope. I fell really awkwardly and had no chance to free my leg while falling. I just gritted my teeth and hoped for the best. Luckily, Emily payed me out a little extra slack and i was able to free fall into the air and avoid the wall with my head. I pulled back on and was able to go on and one hang the route from the middle of the dihedral.
Felt really good to do the route in one hang in such hot conditions. After six day of climbing i am going to take a true rest day and try the route fully rested. So psyched!!

No comments:

Post a Comment